I had the opportunity to spend my day with 10 tween girls. After a great discussion on body image and confidence I asked the girls if they'd help generate a list for moms providing advice on how to raise confident girls. The list is below (in no particular order).
- Encourage your daughter to tell you if something is wrong, "You can tell me anything."
- Believe in yourself. If you don't believe in yourself it will be hard for your daughter to believe in herself.
- Trust yourself and build trust with your daughter.
- Be involved in your daughter's school.
- Be protective, but not too protective.
- Be a good role model socially. For example, don't be a bully if you don't want your daughter to be a bully.
- Don't give your worries to your daughter.
- Be a good role model with your words and actions.
- Don't spoil her.
- Be prepared for anything.
- Put your kids first before work and friends.
- Teach your daughter to fight for what she believes in.
List generated by MG, CS, GK, AF, SF, AL, LG, GW, AD, EB, ages 10 & 11